Program for High Ability Students:
- Based on individual intellectual testing
- Offers curriculum enhancement in the classroom of the neighborhood school
- Provides differentiated instruction
- Provides counseling support
Teaching Strategies include:
- Pre and Post Testing Assessment
- Curriculum Compacting/Contracting
- Individualized Projects/Products
- Students as “Resident Experts”
- Consultant time
High ability students have been identified and are receiving differentiated services in all GCCS elementary schools.
Kimberly Hartlage, executive director of elementary education, oversees the advanced program. Susan Stewart is the coordinator for the advanced program. Contracted, retired, licensed teachers provide services to highly able students in the elementary buildings. Monthly meetings are held with the program coordinator to review student progress and curriculum adaptations. GCCS is extremely proud of the quality of the caring professionals who serve as high ability consultants. Together, they bring more than 500 years of dedicated service and experience working with high ability students!