- Challenging, exciting activities are developed and implemented at the middle school level.
- Advanced Program teachers participate in ongoing professional development on a range of topics.
- Accelerated math and language arts classes are offered to high achieving students.
Each spring, nominations for placement of incoming 6th-grade students on the advanced teams take place. Identification for advanced classes is based on current achievement data, teacher recommendation, and classroom achievement. In addition, students’ scores at the 8th-grade are utilized for placement in advanced programming high school courses for the following school year. Student progress is reviewed each year.
Accelerated Math Curriculum:
- 6th grade – Pre-Algebra
- 7th grade – Pre-Algebra or Honors Algebra
- 8th grade – Honors Algebra or Honors Geometry
Accelerated Language Arts Curriculum:
- Differentiated instruction
- Instruction based on Bloom’s Modified Taxonomy of Higher Level Thinking Skills:
- In-depth literary study