Activity 1. Read the quotes listed below in the slider. Are they literal or figurative? Explain your reasoning for how you know the quote is literal or figurative. Do you or don’t you like the quote? Why or why not? Could the quote apply to your life? If so, how? If not, why not? (Literal means involving the ordinary or usual meaning of a word. For example, if I say, “It is freezing outside,” and it is 32 degrees or less, then the meaning is literal. Figurative is defined as a meaning that is different from the basic meaning and that expresses an idea in an interesting way. For example, “It’s raining cats and dogs” does not mean that poodles are falling from the sky. It means it is raining hard.)
Activity 2. Do you want to learn more about Muhammad Ali? Check out these websites, BUT, when reviewing the information, be sure to also look at the source. Is it a reliable source? How do you know? What is the author’s purpose? Does the source provide unbiased information, or does the source have an agenda to put the information in a positive or negative light? For example, a newspaper article is supposed to present the information without the writer’s opinion being a part of the information; however, an opinion or editorial article from a newspaper overtly expresses the writer’s opinion. On the other hand, a piece written by an advertising agency or an organization that Muhammad Ali has financially supported will be more likely to put a positive “spin” on information but may not necessarily promote itself outright as a persuasive piece. See if you can determine if the information provided on each of these sites was written for persuasive or informational purposes.
- Mr. Nussbaum Short Biography http://www.mrnussbaum.com/athletes/muhammed_ali/
- Ducksters Biography http://www.ducksters.com/biography/athletes/muhammad_ali.php
- Look to the Stars (Celebrity Profiles) https://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/muhammad-ali
- Courier -Journal Timeline http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051119/ALI01/511190314/1008 – courier-journal.com
- Muhammad Ali Center Information http://alicenter.org/